Friday, April 2, 2010

Moose Burgers

Two posts in one week; shocking, I know.
For tonights dinner we made moose burgers. Its not as easy to make hamburgers with moose meat like it is with ground beef. Ground moose does not have as much fat as beef so it falls apart easily. My husband's solution is to cook the patties in vegetable oil, which I don't really like. We did find another way to hold the meat together that is tasty and preferable to the oil.
We were watching PBS's, CREATE one night and the program that was on was BBQ University. The host was showing three different ways to prepare and cook hamburgers. Only one way caught our attention and that is to mix shredded cheddar cheese in the groung meat.
This is what I have Emma doing here. She is shredding the cheese right into the meat.
In the frying pan I did add about a tablespoon of olive oil.
I taught her how to make the patties with her hands and to carefully place the patty in the pan.
Can you see the cheese?
The tricky part is to flip the patty without getting splashed with hot olive oil. Emma wrapped a towel around her hand and arm so that she would not get splashed.

Abandoned!! Emma's friend came over to play and I was left to finish dinner by myself.


I buttered (butter spread) the potato-bread hamburger buns and toasted them in a pan.
The patties are a little small. Next time I need to thaw more meat.


Here is my burger. I added sauted mushrooms to mine.
It doesn't matter what kind of meat you use, I think mixing shredded cheese in the meat is different and delicious. We like to add an extre slice of cheese to the burger. We love cheese.








1 comment:

  1. I love the idea about shredding cheese into the moose meat to help the burgers. I have used oatmeal and it is only so, so. thanks for the great tip and the fun pictures of the kids. debbie osborn

    ReplyDelete