Monday, November 8, 2010

Sandwich Rolls

I was looking at some cooking blogs (I love cooking blogs) and I came across a fun thing to do with pancakes. They were called 'Rainbow Pancakes'. My kids were immediately hooked on that idea. Sundays after church is usually when our family enjoys a huge breakfast. More often than not it's pancakes and a sausage-egg scramble. This past Sunday they requested none other than 'Rainbow Pancakes'. It turns out that I am running extremely low on food coloring so for the color orange I make pumpkin pancakes. I only had two drops of yellow left, not enough really but it did turn the pancake into a deeper off-white.
The other two colors were blue and green. As is custom in our family, we added chocolate chips. The kids had as much fun making the pancakes as they do eating them. Next time I will have all colors on hand and have truly rainbow pancakes.
(This way does dirty alot more dishes.)Tonight for dinner we are having BBQ shredded pork sandwiches. I like to make my own sandwich rolls, they just taste so much better. I asked James if he wanted to help again ( since all the other kids were in school ). He is happy and willing, I love it!
He loves using the beaters.
He didn't want to mix the flour into the dough, "too messy" he says. He wanted to wait until I "had it in a ball". Then I let him try kneading it. I let him do it as long as he wants.


I set aside the dough to rise and by the time it was finished the other kids had come home from school and Rachel wanted to have a turn to help.

She greasing the cookie sheet so our sandwich rolls don't stick.


Now she is shaping the dough in to two-inch balls. She loves to do this part. Anytime I have to shape dough for something, she is there.




This was our dinner tonight. I steamed the broccoli in our food steamer that we have had since my husband and I got married 11 1/2 years ago.
The sandwich rolls turned out pretty good, as did the BBQ pork.



I





2 comments: