Thursday, November 4, 2010

Traditional Pumpkin Pie

I know, I know, it's been so long since my last post. It's a challenge getting the kids to cook with me when there is so much other things they need to do. For example; homework. They are doing homework while I am cooking dinner. And sometimes my kitchen isn't as clean as I want it to be, so I don't want to take pictures in my messy kitchen.
My 4-year-old is going to have to do most of the cooking for this blog since he is the one at home and has all the time.
My 10-year-old came home with this pie crust that she made all by herself at an activity in our church. She requested Pumpkin Pie, her favorite pie.
I followed a "FAMOUS PUMPKIN PIE" recipe. I like simple. James only agreed to make the pie filling as long as I didn't make him take a bite when it was done.
He has already combined the sugar and spices in a seperate bowl.


In a bigger, mixer bowl, he broke two eggs all by himself. The first he basically crushed and we only had to scoop out two, small pieces of shell. I coached him through the second and he did perfect.



I think adding the pumpkin was his favorite part. I liked it, too. It took him so long that I had enough time to roll out and braid one french bread dough loaf and set it aside to rise.




Now it's time to add the sugar and spices mixture.



It's time for the canned milk.




Kids cooking does not come without messes. There are plenty of those. But that's okay, they can learn how to clean them up, right?






That filling looks so delicious. I did give him a hand with pouring, I didn't want to take any chances with this yummy filling.







And here we are! Baked, and already sampled. Well, sampled much later after I set it outside to cool off. My husband and I ate the first slices. The kids were in the dungeon (downstairs playroom) watching Looney Tunes.


James did such a good job on this pie. It was so good I had a half a slice more. I am getting hungry for another piece just sitting here blogging about it. But I can't or I won't be able to stop at just one piece. And Emma is expecting another piece when she gets home from school.









1 comment:

  1. Emma ~

    You need to come a make me some pie crusts! You did a great job, they look delicious!!

    ReplyDelete