Thursday, December 31, 2009

Cinnamon Rolls

My family loves my cinnamon rolls. But if they want some, they have to help make them.
I have Emma put 1c water, 1c milk and 1 stick of butter in a small saucepan. I heat it until
the butter is melted and the temperature is around 120.Emma added the heated mixture to 2c flour, 2 pkgs. quick rise yeast, 1/2c sugar and 2 tsp salt.
James likes to use the mixer while Emma is adding one egg.
My mixer only has one beater since the other side does not spin anymore.
James adds 2 to 3 cups of flour while Emma begins mixing with her hands.

Once the dough pulls cleanly away from the side of the bowl, Emma dumps
it out on to a floured suface and kneads in maybe 1c more of flour.
If the dough feels firm there is too much flour.
I just like to add enough flour so that the dough is not sticky but still soft.




We let it raise in a warm area next to our wood stove.



Once it is doubled in size, Emma punches it down several times.
I think that is my kids favorite part next to kneading.





Emma rolls it out. I do help every now and then to make sure it is the size that
I want.





Spread butter or a healthier butter spread on the dough, sprinkle with
plenty of sugar and cinnamon. I have no measurement, I just
add as much as I like.




We did make two different doughs so we could make two different kinds
of rolls.


Chocolate Chip
(I know it sounds weird but I wanted to try it.)






Apple Cinnamon

I used dried apples for the rolls. I just let them sit in water
while we worked on the dough.
Then I spread them out over the cinnamon and sugar.
Roll up the dough and slice with dental floss.
Put them in a greased 13x9 or larger pan and let them rise for 30
or 40 minutes.
Bake at 375 for about 20 minutes.
(By now I am doing this myself because my daughter's friend came over to play.)

I had 3 extra rolls so I put them into a pie pan.

These rolls turned out delicious. My husband and I liked the Apple-Cinnamon
better than the Chocolate Chip. Chocolate and cinnamon don't seem
to be compatible like chocolate and mint.
Since making these rolls, the kids and I have had fun making loaves of
white bread, big and small. I did not get pictures this time, I am just
glad they still want to cook with me.
Happy New Year !!!











No comments:

Post a Comment